REGULATIONS 66th VALLADOLID INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
FIRST.- OBJECTIVES: The main objective of VALLADOLID INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL (founded in 1956) is to show and promote films of artistic quality which contribute to the knowledge of worldwide cinematography.
SECOND.- DATES: The Festival takes place every year during the last week of October. The 66th edition will be held from October 23rd to 30th, 2021.
THIRD.- CONTACT INFORMATION:
VALLADOLID INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL (SEMINCI)
Calle Leopoldo Cano, s/n, 4th Floor (Teatro Calderón)
47003 Valladolid (Spain)
Tel.: +34 983 426 460
Opening hours to the public, Mon. to Fri.: 9.00h -14.00h
The Festival consists of the following sections:
- Competitive Sections:
- OFFICIAL SECTION, offering a panorama of current international cinema. The feature lengths and shorts in this section may participate in or out of competition.
- MEETING POINT, a competitive parallel showcase of first and second fiction films worthy of special attention for their subject matter or style. Short films are also programmed.
- TIME OF HISTORY, a competitive section for documentaries.
- SPAIN, a competitive section for Spanish documentaries.
- SHORTS FROM CASTILE & LEON, a competitive section for shorts made or produced in the region, or made by directors who were born or live there.
- SEMINCI JOVEN, a competitive section of films for a teenage public (12 to 18 year olds).
- CLIMATE CHANGE, a competitive section of films presenting climate change, environmental issues and green awareness through the visual medium.
- Non-competitive Sections:
- FEATURES FROM CASTILE & LEON, a non-competitive showcase of fiction feature lengths or documentaries either made or produced in the region or by directors born there.
- SIDEBARS, devoted to the presentation and analysis of directors, genres, styles, a nation's cinema, etc.
- CINEMA, WINE & GASTRONOMY, a non-competitive showcase of films regarding the world of wine and gastronomy.
- MINIMINCI, a non-competitive showcase of films for 7 to 12 year olds.
FIFTH. REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION:
- All films entered for the OFFICIAL, MEETING POINT, TIME OF HISTORY and DOC. SPAIN sections must comply with the following conditions:
- They must be produced in 2021 or during the last three months of 2020 and must be Spanish premieres (no previous commercial, DVD, video, TV or online screening in Spain).
- They must not have been screened at any other film festival in Spain, neither in nor out of competition, nor have been presented in any kind of event.
- Formats acceptable for screening during the event depend on the installations of the venues where the film will be screened. Films should preferably be DCP, although, exceptionally, another format may be possible.
- Films submitted to compete in the sections SHORTS FROM CASTILE AND LEON and SEMINCI JOVEN do not need to be Spanish premieres but they must have been produced in 2021 or during the last three months of 2020.
- Films should preferably be DCP or a high quality downloadable archive, although another format may be possible. Formats acceptable for screening during the event depend on the installations of the venues where the film will be screened. Either the filmmakers, producers, distributors or the person submitting the film should provide the technical team of the Festival (email@example.com) with the appropriate KDMs for each screening venue. The Festival will not cover the costs of generating these keys.
Films will be screened in their original language version with Spanish and English subtitles. When the film is not Spanish spoken, a transcript of the English subtitles/dialogue list and a downloadable link of the film must be supplied beforehand in order to permit preparation of electronic subtitles in Spanish.
Films submitted may be feature lengths, medium-lengths or shorts. Films over 60 minutes will be considered feature lengths. Short films must, preferably, not exceed a running time of 30 minutes.
SIXTH.- AWARDS OFFICIAL SECTION: An International Jury will decide the winners of the following awards from those feature lengths and shorts selected for participation in competition in the OFFICIAL SECTION. None of these awards may be declared void:
- Feature Lengths
- GOLDEN SPIKE and SILVER SPIKE: a trophy for the filmmaker and cash awards of 75,000 € and 25,000 €, respectively, for the Spanish distributors of these films.
- «PILAR MIRÓ» PRIZE TO THE BEST NEW DIRECTOR: competing with a first or second feature length film for the cinema. The filmmaker receives a trophy and a cash award of 10.000 €.
- «RIBERA DEL DUERO» BEST DIRECTOR AWARD: a trophy and cash award of 6,000 €.
- BEST ACTRESS and BEST ACTOR AWARDS: trophy.
- BEST DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY AWARD:
- «MIGUEL DELIBES» AWARD FOR BEST SCRIPT: trophy.
- «JOSÉ SALCEDO» AWARD FOR BEST EDITING: trophy.
- Short Films
- GOLDEN SPIKE and SILVER SPIKE: trophies and cash awards of 6.000 € y 3.000 €, respectively, for the filmmakers of each film.
- BEST EUROPEAN SHORT FILM: trophy and 000 € for the filmmaker.
- Only one joint prize is permitted within the Awards to feature lengths and one within the shorts category. Cash prizes, in this case, will be split equally. The «Best European Short» prize cannot be awarded jointly.
SEVENTH.- AWARDS IN THE OTHER COMPETITIVE SECTIONS:
- MEETING POINT:
- AWARD FOR BEST FEATURE: trophy and 20,000 € for the filmmaker.
- AWARD FOR BEST FOREIGN SHORT: trophy and 3,000 € for the filmmaker.
- AWARD FOR BEST SPANISH SHORT: trophy and 3,000 € for the filmmaker.
- SEMINCI JOVEN: trophy and cash award of 000 € for the filmmaker, according to the votes of the young audiences.
- TIME OF HISTORY:
- A prize of 25,000 € and a trophy to the filmmaker of the BEST DOCUMENTARY in the TIME OF HISTORY section and a SECOND PRIZE of a trophy and 15,000 €, also for the filmmaker.
- A trophy plus 3,000 € to the director of the Best Medium Length/Short Documentary.
- SPAIN: a trophy and a cash prize of 6,000 € to the filmmaker of the BEST DOCUMENTARY.
- SHORT FILMS FROM CASTILE AND LEON: trophy.
EIGHTH.- OTHER AWARDS:
- RAINBOW AWARD: trophy for the film which shows the most sensitivity towards the LGTBI community.
- GREEN AWARD: trophy for the film which best raises awareness of the need to protect our planet and environment.
- FIPRESCI AWARD: framed certificate. Three members of the International Federation of Film Critics critics will award the prize to a film in the Official Section.
- AUDIENCE AWARDS OFFICIAL SECTION, «MEETING POINT» SECTION and «TIME OF HISTORY» SECTION: trophies. The audience acts as a Jury and casts their votes after each screening.
- «FUNDOS» AWARD: trophy and 6,000 € to the filmmaker for the film which best reflects situations of social actions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned Awards, the Festival may include other sponsored awards.
HONOURARY TROPHIES may also be awarded. The Festival will submit proposals for these awards to the President of the Municipal Foundation of Culture for his/her approval.
- The Presidency of the Municipal Foundation of Culture of Valladolid City, according to proposals from the Festival Organization, will appoint the following Jury members:
- INTERNATIONAL JURY OFFICIAL SECTION: 5 professionals (minimum) from the cinematographic, artistic and cultural world.
- MEETING POINT JURY: 3 professionals from the cinematographic, artistic and cultural world.
- TIME OF HISTORY JURY: 3 professionals from the cinematographic, artistic and cultural world.
- SPAIN JURY: 3 professionals from the cinematographic, artistic and cultural world.
- FIPRESCI JURY: Three members of the International Federation of Film Critics.
- SHORT FILMS FROM CASTILE AND LEON JURY: 3 professionals from the cinematographic, artistic and cultural world.
- Separate Juries from the above-mentioned Juries will also designate the «Rainbow» and «Green» Awards, and a Youth Jury will award one prize in the Official Section and one Prize in the «Meeting Point» Section.
The Juries will announce their decisions in a press conference at midday on the last day of the Festival, The Juries’ decisions are unappealable.
TENTH.- AWARD WINNER OBLIGATIONS:
Award winners must attend the Closing Gala of the Festival in order to receive their awards. Should this be impossible for material or physical reasons, they should designate a representative and/or provide a short video/online greeting for screening during the Gala.
Award winning films must feature the festival logo specifying the award won in Valladolid on all posterior prints, DVDs or Blurays of the film as well as home formats and other platforms and on all publicity material.
Award winners should not be prevented from becoming a beneficiary of a subsidy by any of the circumstances described in sections 2 and 3 of Article 13 of the General Subsidies Law 38/2003, approved on November 17th, and later modified by section five of law L.O. 3/2015, approved on March 30th.
Cash awards will be paid by bank transfer. The amount of the awards will be subject to the corresponding witholdings and taxes, in accordance with prevailing legislation.
Award winners must forward the documents specified below before November 30th to the Administration Deparment of The Municipal Foundation of Culture (E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
In the case of films directed by two or more filmmakers, each filmmaker must send the documents specified.
CASH AWARDS UP TO AND INCLUDING 6.000 Euros
- A photocopy of your ID card or passport.
- A bank account identification certificate with account details, bank address and IBAN/SWIFT number.
- A Tax Residency Certificate issued by the competent authorities.
- An affidavit stating that you are not prevented from becoming a beneficiary of a subsidy by any of the circumstances described in sections 2 and 3 of Article 13 of the General Subsidies Law 38/2003, approved on November 17th, and later modified by section five of law L.O. 3/2015, approved on March 30th.
If the award winner is of Spanish nationality, a certificate stating that he/she is up-to-date with tax and social security obligations.
CASH AWARDS OF MORE THAN 6.000 Euros
- a) A photocopy of your ID card or passport.
- b) A bank account identification certificate with account details, bank address and IBAN/SWIFT number.
- c) A Tax Residency Certificate issued by the competent authorities.
- d) An affidavit stating that you are not prevented from becoming a beneficiary of a subsidy by any of the circumstances described in sections 2 and 3 of Article 13 of the General Subsidies Law 38/2003, approved on November 17th, and later modified by section five of law L.O. 3/2015, approved on March 30th.
- e) A certificate stating you are up-to-date with tax obligations.
- f) A certificate stating you are up-to-date with social security obligations.
The Spanish distributors of the winning feature lengths in the Official Section must also forward a copy of the distribution agreement and an affidavit stating they own the distribution rights of the films for Spain. They must also forward an invoice for the amount of the award. The invoice must include applicable taxes.
ELEVENTH.- SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
- Valladolid International Film Festival does not charge entry fees and films should be submitted as follows:
- Films being submitted for preview by the Selection Committee: Films must be submitted online via the festival web page: www.seminci.es (link Eventival). An initial entry form must be filled in and a secure link with password must be provided.
- Films already officially invited by the Festival: The Festival may send a direct invitation to certain films.
The invitation sent for each film selected by the Festival must remain strictly confidential between the Festival management and the participant until the Festival makes an official announcement to this regard.
A complete entry form must be filled in. This is available on the Festival web page www.seminci.es (link Eventival) and the dialogue/subtitles list and promotional material requested must be forwarded as soon as possible.
- The Festival can download high qualtity archives for screening, or a DCP can be sent by courier to:
VALLADOLID INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Calle Leopoldo Cano, s/n.
47003 VALLADOLID (SPAIN).
The Festival must be informed of transport details immediately afterwards. All films should ideally arrive before October 1st.
- Press material and publicity for each film must reach the Festival Office by October 1st. A pressbook, stills and a three-minute trailer should be uploaded for insertion on the Festival web page. 10 posters should be sent by post to the Festival office.
This material will only be available for members of the media with Festival accreditation on the Festival web page.
TWELFTH.- TRANSPORT OF FILMS
Unless negotiated otherwise with the Festival, all transportation costs incurred in sending the print to and from Spain must be borne by the entity or individual(s) registering it for participation. The Festival insurance policy covers fire, theft, damage and destruction of the print for the period spanning its arrival until its return.
The Festival will only accept claims on any print within a period of ONE MONTH after the date it was returned.
- The Festival Direction will determine the order and date of the screening of all films. Once a film has been registered for participation, it cannot be withdrawn or screened elsewhere in Spain, as specified in Point Fifth, prior to its screening at Valladolid.
- Participation in the Festival implies the unconditional acceptance of all the aforementioned regulations. The interpretation of the regulations will be the exclusive responsibility of the Direction of Valladolid International Film Festival. In any event of doubt, the Spanish version of these regulations will be deemed binding.
FOURTEENTH.- AWARDS BUDGET ALLOCATION
The financial cost of the Awards will be allocated to the 09.3343.481 budget, corresponding to 2021, of the Municipal Foundation of Culture of Valladolid City Hall.